About Me

My photo
The stories here change from time to time. Please return to visit often!

Friday, June 24, 2011

My Gratitude Journal: Writing Friends

Those of you who have been following this blog know that on Fridays I express my gratitude for the creative life. Today I especially want to thank my writing friends for their inspiration.

When I think of writing friends, I'm not talking about the stars I have met at conferences whom I remember with fondness, but who wouldn't remember me. (I'm thinking of the time at a romance writers' banquet when Nora Roberts asked my sister if the dessert was chocolate. :-)

I'm not thinking of riding the hotel elevator with Susan Elizabeth Phillips or the airplane home with Catherine Coulter. Although I've had those experiences and have been just as star-struck as anyone, I don't go home inspired afterward.

I'm thinking of the rising stars whose names may be little better known than my own, but whose work gets me back to the computer even on days when I think I'd be more successful in plumbing.

I'm thinking of rising star Elana Johnson, whom I met at a writers' conference a few months ago and who has become a guru to me, although (let's be honest) I'm old enough to be her mother.

I'm thinking of Chris Stewart and Jerry Borrowman, men whose books are much more masculine (read: techno-thriller/war/political intrigue)than anything I will ever write, but who have inspired me with their publishing world savvy -- and their french fries. (Thanks, Chris!)

Knowing other people who struggle with willful characters who won't do what they're told and plots that sink in the middle and who still write coherent, enjoyable books helps me believe I can do the same.

If you're an author or an author-in-the-making, let me suggest that you try to meet and surround yourself with as many competent, successful writers as you can. That way, there is always a muse available when you need one.

Who inspires you? Share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, opinions, complaints or compliments. We're all reading and writing together.