About Me

My photo
The stories here change from time to time. Please return to visit often!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Web Tip: Making Time for Creativity

How do we make time to write? Years ago when my first book came out, the local newspaper did an interview and asked that question. I quipped that some people did their laundry and wondered when they would ever find time to write; I wrote and wondered when I'd find time to do the laundry.

The comment inspired a poet I know to write a lovely piece about her laundry and how handling her family's clothing drew her closer to the people she loved. Although I'm certain that was not its purpose, that poem made me feel like a poor writer and a worse wife/mother/laundry doer.

Today I'm looking at a blog that gives some serious answers to the serious question. Melissa Donovan's Writing Forward suggests a number of ways to approach the problem. Her ways don't work for everyone, but some of them may work for you.

She looks at your competing priorities -- even the laundry -- and brings her own creative answers to the table. If you're a writer (or artist, or creative entrepreneur, or ...) who needs to make more time in your life for creating, have a look. You may find something that will work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, opinions, complaints or compliments. We're all reading and writing together.