About Me

My photo
The stories here change from time to time. Please return to visit often!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Maggie's Take on Sexuality

As one of those old-fashioned people who believes that intimacy ought to be reserved, at the very least, for couples who have a history together of emotional intimacy and support, I sometimes have trouble with characters who don't necessarily agree with me.

From my work-in-progress MAGGIE RISING, here is Maggie's take on her brother's rather casual love life. In this case, she speaks for me.

“So what’s up, Brother mine? I thought you might be taking your latest lady friend to breakfast.”

“Nah. I was hoping you’d have something good already started, but it looks like you’ve failed me.” He paused, casting his eyes around my small kitchen space. “Wait, what’s this? Haskins Apple Special breakfast muffins? Wo! You’re living high these days, Sis. These things are better than sex!”

“I’ll have to take your word for it, Stud,” I said. Then, just to prove I’m snotty when awakened earlier than I like, I added, “Don’t you ever get tired of passing yourself around like a party favor?”

He grinned. “Don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it.”

“I’ll wait, thanks.” I grabbed the muffin out of his hand. “Don’t you ever ask before taking?”

He grinned harder. “Sure I do, and they always say yes.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “I meant the muffins, Merc. And yes, you may have one, but only this one that you’ve already mauled. Have some respect for others’ property.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he answered, but he didn’t look the least bit chastened.


How do you like to deal with sensuality in your own fiction writing? Or if you're sticking to reading for now, what level of sensuality do you prefer in the work you read? Write and share!

1 comment:

  1. Must. Be. Tension. And innuendo. I think writers have to be real with the characters' emotional reactions to things. If authors leave out the moments where they blush, or notice a rippling muscle, or forget how to catch their breath, then its just boring :).
    I like what you've done here with explaining his habits without having to describe them explicitly.
    I really like Stephanie Meyer's approach where there were real sensual feelings that got stirred up but it never got blatant or gross.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, opinions, complaints or compliments. We're all reading and writing together.