About Me

My photo
The stories here change from time to time. Please return to visit often!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Experiments in Style

PLEASE NOTE: I am running my first-ever contest. To learn more, click on the little blue "Contest" tag at right. Welcome!


One of the fun things about writing is experimenting in different styles. Not voices. My voice is my voice, and those of you who have followed me for a while now are beginning to know my writing voice.

No, my experiments are in different general approaches to writing.

A SECRET FAMILY RECIPE, my new book for Covenant, is an experiment in a variety of ways. For one thing, every chapter begins with a recipe, one a friend called "interactive" since the characters work with the food in the recipe.

Another difference is the point of view. My first seven books were all written in third person with one (or occasionally two) viewpoint(s). RECIPE has four narrators and multiple viewpoints.

Also different is the time period. Most of my books cover weeks or months while most of the action in RECIPE happens in a single week. Different? Um, yeah, I think so.

It's also been fun. I'm enjoying experimenting a little, and I think my readers may want to enjoy it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, opinions, complaints or compliments. We're all reading and writing together.