About Me

My photo
The stories here change from time to time. Please return to visit often!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I LOVE Christmas!

Of all the holidays I truly love, Christmas is my favorite, but if I'm being honest, I have to admit it's something of a love-hate relationship. So for the benefit of any of you who may feel the same way, here's my list:

  • I LOVE the spirit of the season.
    I hate (or at least, greatly dislike) the rush-rush, hurry-hurry, spend-spend part of it all.

  • I love the Greatest Story Ever Told, the story of the birth of Jesus Christ.
  • I dislike the fact that so much of what we see and hear at Christmas time completely misses "the reason for the season."
  • I love Christmas music, especially sweet older carols, hymns and triumphant songs. "O Come All Ye Faithful" and the "Halleujia Chorus" are up there with my favorite music of all time. I also love that wherever you go during this season, the canned music is Christmas favorites.
  • I dislike that the canned music we hear everywhere seldom includes a carol, hymn or song of triumph. Instead of "Away in a Manger," we tend to get "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."
  • I love the spirit of giving that seems even to reach the Scrooges and Grinches among us.
  • I dislike that that spirit of giving gets turned into giving diamonds, luxury cars, and even small electronics that cost more than I put down on my first home.
  • I love that we all seem to show greater care for the less fortunate around us.
  • I dislike that it takes a holiday to get many of us to care.
  • I love gaudy Christmas decorations and beautifully appointed trees and Christmas paper and ribbons.
  • I dislike that we have so much mess left to clean up and dispose of as the holiday comes to a close.
  • I love favorite holiday foods.
  • I dislike extra holiday pounds.

So you see, for me it's all about the love-hate that goes along with this time of year. Whether you agree with me or not, I hope your holiday is memorable and lovely. May you have a merry, merry Christmas this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, ideas, opinions, complaints or compliments. We're all reading and writing together.