About Me

My photo
The stories here change from time to time. Please return to visit often!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Eating my Cake Without Wearing it, too

In my ideal world, many things would be different:

I could eat exactly what I wanted, and as much as I wanted of it, any time I liked and I'd still look like a runway model.

I could sit all day at the computer and then sit all evening with a book or a movie and yet I'd be as fit and as svelte as a marathoner.

I could even bark and growl when in a bad mood without having to apologize after I felt better.

In short, my ideal world is far from where we all live. Whether we call it karma, what-goes-around-comes-around, you-get-what-you-pay-for or the Law of the Harvest, the principle applies: We don't get the reward until we do the work.

I was reminded of this recently when I heard a multi-published novelist say to an aspiring writer, "Do you really want to write? Or do you want to have written?" She nailed it.

Holding the finished book in your hand, talking to people about your work, that's the payoff and almost everybody I know thinks that would be way cool. The everyday struggle with characters who won't cooperate and plots that go astray and writing blocks that just won't quit is the messy, no-nonsense WORK that goes into writing. The willingness to do that is what separates serious writers from the dilettantes.

And since I won't have the payoff without doing the work, I think I'd better get back to work now.

4 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for a while now and I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading it. It’s one of my favorite blogs because you give out so much great advice in your articles. Keep up the fantastic work! we also can help with

    bus rental dubai Bus rental Bus rental in dubai Dubai Sightseeing bus rental with Driver staff transportation bus rental abu dhabi airport transfer bus rental sharjah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you've structured your arguments. Very clear.

    Bus Rental Sharjah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ability to distill complex concepts into digestible bites is a gift. Thank you for making learning so enjoyable.

    Marble in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is a goldmine of information! The author's ability to present facts in an engaging manner is truly praiseworthy.

    Mini Bus for rent

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, opinions, complaints or compliments. We're all reading and writing together.